Monday, November 8, 2010

How difficult is it to apply for an NBI clearance?

Depends on whom you ask. 

One does not really have to go to the NBI Head Office in Manila to apply for a new clearance or for a renewal. 

But  before we proceed, one might ask, why this question on this blog?  An NBI clearance is actually  one of the documents  that are  required for a broker's registration at the Philippine Regulation Commission. 

Now  back to my  most recent  experience with NBI-- my wife Maita and I headed last Nov 4 for the NBI satellite office within the compound of  Las Pinas City Hall.  With us was our new maid,  whom  we required to apply for a clearance too, as a matter of  family policy.

We were there  before 9:30 a.m.  Since it was not my first time to apply, I knew that we had to get our Community Tax Certificate or "cedula" at the main building.  

There were  already  long queues when we reached the  NBI satellite office  that was located just a short walk behind the main  building.  One line was for males and another for females. 

Prominently displayed was a warning sign not to deal with "fixers."  There were no "fixers" in operation then. What we saw were  young men, probably new NBI recruits who were managing the traffic of applicants.  One was assigning a number depending on one's position in queue.  Maita got number 51  and my new maid, 52.  I on the other hand was in the longer line for males.  I got number 81.

For a moment I thought that it would  take endless hours in the humid but shaded waiting area.  It was a consolation to see the lines moving at a reasonable pace.

Step 1: Payment.    I paid  Ps 115 for a copy of the clearance.  I showed my  cedula and a valid ID to get  a card where my name was quickly  printed on.  This card had to be filled out with  personal information.

Step  2. Finger Printing.   The card had those boxes on one side  for  marking one's finger prints.  A veteran looking NBI employee assisted me here  fast and efficiently.  To remove the ink off my fingers after,  I was handed what seemed to be alcohol dipped paper wipes.  I was asked to fork over Ps 10, which I gladly did.  Consider it a tip.

Step 3.  Review.  I approached a window where an NBI rep examined my entries in my finger print card.  There were no questions on my card so I quickly went to the next step.

Step 4.  Picture-taking.  I was made to stand before what seemed to be a movable wooden backdrop painted in white.  In front of me was a digital camera that recorded my image in black and white.

Step 5. Clearance Release. I was  told to wait at the nearby open area.  A short while later--at about 11:45 a.m--   I was able to get  Maita's and my own clearance.   My new maid was not that fortunate though.   Her name was fairly common so there was a "hit"--  this meant that the NBI had to further check  the results.  My maid was asked to return after 5 working days.    Tough luck for our maid.

By lunchtime that day,  we were already at SM Super Center in Las Pinas situated almost across the Las Pinas City Hall . The entire  process  after all was  not as long as I anticipated it to be.

There are other NBI satellite offices around the county, this way we all do not have to go at all to the head office in along Taft,  Manila or to the  Clearance Center in Monumento  Check out NBI's website: .http://www.nbi.gov.ph/clearance.htm

By the way, while I was waiting for my turn, an NBI employee at the Las Pinas Satellite office gave me this advice:    It would also help to keep the personal copy portion  of the clearance. In the future, one does not have to go to any NBI  office at all for securing a  clearance renewal.   Just ask  a friend or relative  a favor.   Simply give him or her your  personal copy of the last clearance you applied for together with  2  passport size pictures and  he or she can apply for renewal on your behalf.  

I will certainly remember that next time around.




    •    

No comments: