Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Marikina Fault Line aka The Valley Fault System

Source
A friend of mine recently embarked on a property search  that stretched from  Magallanes  in Makati to Valle Verde in Pasig.

When we came upon a specific property somewhere in Pasig that appeared to be  value-for-money,  my friend became concerned about the property's location.  Somehow, my friend  got information that the property was sitting directly on a fault line.

As a real estate professional, I  am  expected  to know  specifics of the property listings that  my company carries.  With that in mind, I researched on the fault line that supposedly runs on the property in my list.   

I  visited the website of  PHILVOCS.   I learned that what is commonly known as Marikina Fault Line is is actually called the Valley Fault System for the simple reason that the faults and trenches go beyond the area we know as Marikina.  A quick look at the Metro Manila map downloaded from PHILVOCS  website shows that there are active faults and trenches  running from  Rodriguez, Rizal to  San Pedro, Laguna.

From this experience, I find it  advisable   for my real estate colleagues and  for property buyers to bookmark the PHILVOCS site as  ready reference.

P.S.  Using a map I  downloaded from the PHILVOCS site,  I was able to confirm that the property  in Pasig that I was offering for sale  to my friend  was actually  situated away from any fault line or trench.

No comments: