Wednesday, July 13, 2011

RAYMOND TIONGSON: Former Junior Wall-Climbing Champion


From the PAREB Mini-Olympics held last May at  La Salle Greenhills,  one member of Pasay-Makati Real Estate Board  was adjudged Most Valuable Player or MVP.

He is Raymond Tiongson, a La Salle Greenhills alumnus, who  during his  high school days was actually one of the national junior champions  in the field of wall-climbing. 

Figuratively speaking,  walls could very well represent the personal  challenges that Raymond have to surmount .  He lost his mother when he was 17; and his father, when he was 21.  His siblings either  already have their own families  or  have  migrated to the United States.  Early in life, Raymond had to learn to live on his own and fend for himself.

Today, Raymond is  a single professional, very much  engaged in real estate where he  is  making the most of every opportunity to excel--same way he did when he won 4 golds and  2 silvers during the PAREB Mini-Olympics.

Read more about Raymond here.

What is your educational background?  What were you considering as a career when you were in high school or in college?
Green blood flows through my veins. I went to La Salle Green Hills from Kinder 1 to high school. Then in college I got in De La Salle University and took up Political Science/Economics. Because of my youthfulness back then I needed to transfer to the school in front, College of Saint Benilde and I was a major in Multi-Media Arts. I’m an undergrad, wasn’t able to finish college and I’m not ashamed of it. I’m still planning to finish my education and take Real estate Management.

I had a lot of plans when I was young. I wanted to be a Politician, an Engineer and a Lawyer.



What was/were your first job/s prior to your shift to real estate?
Since I was young, I was doing business already. From high school to college I had a mobile business for parties (Music & Lights) and I was also a DJ. I had a deal with my dad that I need to finish my college on time. When I overstayed (in college), my dad knew that I was able to save money already and he asked me if I wanted to continue my education and pay for my own tuition fee or continue with what I  was doing. Since I was an undergrad, it would be hard for me to look for a job so my friend who owned an import/export company invited me to join them. We imported cars from Japan. There was a time that importing second hand cars was banned in Subic so my dad told me to join the family business. We developed a small scale subdivision in our province in Bulacan. A friend also requested me to help them produce a sports show for a cable network, because I love extreme sports and traveling, I accepted the offer.



What were you reasons for shifting to real estate?
The reason for my to shift to real estate was my dad who was into real estate development.   Honestly, back then I really knew little about the business. I was just 19 or 20. I just needed to drive my dad to Bulacan and I was like a supervisor for the construction and development. I lost my mom when I was in 1st year college then my dad passed away year 2005.  Almost all of my siblings migrated in the U.S already. I was the only one left to manage the properties my dad left behind. Some properties had cases and I did not know what to do. This was the time that I said to myself that I needed to change my lifestyle and be responsible or I would lose everything that my dad invested for us. With all of these problems, it just made me stronger, smarter and that gave me first hand experience in the real estate industry.


How did  you prepare for your shift?
I think my experience is different from other brokers. Because of the legal cases  involving my dad’s properties, I prepared for my shift by handling the cases, talking to different lawyers about  real estate laws. I took up real estate courses then I had my CRESAR with PMRB. The reason why I attended the CRESAR was just to learn about real estate management and laws-- not to acquire a broker’s license. During the review, I found out that an undergrad could  still take the licensure exam provided that he  completed at least 144 units of college study; I completed 146 units so I took my chance and took the exam. Luckily I passed and landed in the top 12.



 What would you consider to be your major achievement or most memorable experience in  your real estate practice?
I treat all of my transactions memorable. I always gain experience and knowledge with every transaction. But nothing beats your first closed sale, it may be big or small but still, it is a closed sale. I would consider a major achievement if I would win most if not all the legal  cases for our properties.



What would be  one major  piece of advice  you would want to share with someone who is considering to shift to real estate?
My advice to someone who is considering a shift to real estate would be  to know who you are, what market you should tap,  to always look confident in front of clients, to  choose an area where you want to specialize in. But most importantly when you’re starting,  one should not make the  commission the first priority.  Instead focus on giving the best service you can give to your client. We are Real Estate SERVICE Practitioners. Our name and credibility are the most important assets in our profession.


What other  details about yourself  would you like your fellow brokers and your clients to know?
I specialize in sales and rentals in the Valle Verde area to Acropolis, Ortigas Center, Makati  and Fort Bonifacio. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to be like you kuya Raymond when i grow up! =)